Frequently Asked Questions | GE | VCE | Year 12

How do I receive an ATAR score?

To receive an ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) at the end of your VCE, you will need to be aware of the following:

  • You must satisfactorily complete both Units 3 and 4 of the same English sequence.
  • In each of the study areas of English, Mathematics, History, Contemporary Australian studies, Information technology, LOTE and Music.
  • No more than two subjects from the same study area in the primary four.
  • No more than three subjects from the same study group can be in the ATAR calculation.
  • Higher Education study and VET results also contribute to the ATAR calculation.


The ATAR is developed from an aggregate produced by adding:

  • VTAC scaled study score in one of English, English Language, Literature or English as an Additional Language (EAL)
  • The next best three VTAC scaled study scores permissible; and
  • 10% of the fifth and sixth permissible scores that are available.


What does a VCE program at Rowville typically look like?

In Year 12 students will typically study 5 x Unit 3 and 4 subjects which must include one subject from the English group – English/EAL/English Language/Literature.

Over 2 years students will typically attempt a minimum of 22 units; if a student undertakes a VCE subject in Year 10 then they are likely to finish with 24 units attempted.


What is the difference between a unit and a subject?

A unit is the work covered in a semester; a subject consists of 4 units usually take over 2 years as part of the VCE


What do I need to do to successfully obtain my VCE?

A student must satisfactorily complete:

At least 16 units overall

At least three units from the English Group*, two of which must be a Unit 3-4 sequence.

(*NOTE: the English Group includes English, English as an Additional Language (EAL), English Language and Literature)

At least three sequences of Unit 3 and 4 studies other than the English group, which may include any number of English sequences once the English requirement has been met.


How do I choose which VCE subjects to undertake?

  • Choose subjects you are good at.
  • Choose subjects which interest you.
  • Choose subjects that are needed for access to further education at TAFE or university (pre-requisites) Choose subjects that will lead to or relate to employment areas that you find appealing or you are interested in.
  • Choose subjects/courses that will provide you with appropriate skills or qualifications to help you:
    • achieve your career goals eg undertake a VET certificate.
    • Students should not select studies based on scaling – they are more likely to get better results if they are studying subjects which interest them.


How do I find out the pre-requisite subjects for a course?

VTAC produces a guide to pre-requisites for all university and TAFE courses, two years in advance i.e. current Year 10 students who will be applying to tertiary institutions in 2024 and can be downloaded from the VTAC website. The information is available through the Virtual Library.


How do I find out which courses are available at TAFE and university?

On the VTAC website there is a program called “Course Search” and one called “course Link” that enable students to find courses in their area of interest and TAFE and university.

On the TAFE website students are able to find all courses from Certificate I to degree offered at all TAFE colleges and private colleges (RTOs) across the state.


What is a VET subject?

Vocational education and training provide the opportunity for students to gain a nationally recognised qualification and workplace experience and skills, while at school.


What is the difference between a VET certificate undertaken at TAFE and VET certificate undertaken at Rowville?

They are both recognised as the same just delivered differently.



Return to Senior Pathways >>

Website maintenance by webgrow™