Which students should choose a School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship (SBAT)?
- Those who have a passion for working in a particular industry.
- Those who enjoy applied learning and some theoretical study.
- Those who want to commence employment but are not ready to leave school.
- Those who want to commence an apprenticeship or traineeship before they end of Year 12.
- Those students who have completed a week of work experience in their chosen industry with 2 different employers ie a total of 2 weeks work experience. To be completed prior to interview with atEAST
- Those who at this stage of their lives do not want to study for a higher qualification at university.
- Those who are well organised and are prepared to commit to the 3 components of the program – school, TAFE and employment.
What is the school component of my SBAT pathway?
- In the majority of cases this will be the same as the VCAL pathway at school. The difference is the outside of school TAFE and work component for SBAT is a Traineeship or Apprenticeship with an arranged training plan organised through atEAST. Refer to SBAT pathway for more information.
Does Rowville SC find employment for students wanting to undertake a SBAT?
- atEAST (consortium of 11 school including Rowville) manages the SBAT program for Rowville and supports students during their studies but students need to supply a list of possible employers in the industry they are interested in and in a locations that are accessible for them.
- atEAST provides a list of industries they provide support in each year – if a student wants a SBAT in an industry not supported by atEAST eg animal studies, beauty therapy, plumbing and electrical they student must provide their own employer prior to interview with atEAST. The SBAT Coordinator will confirm this employer prior to the student being interviewed by atEAST.
PLEASE NOTE: Traineeships are only 1 year long. You would need to find an additional Traineeship or Apprenticeship in year 12.